If you are not at home and a hazardous chemical emergency should occur, follow the same steps that are appropriate to take Shelter in Place. Even if you are in your car, just make sure you have all outside vents, windows and doors closed when you Shelter in Place in your vehicle. Never attempt to drive through a gas cloud. Turn on your radio and listen to further instructions.
If you are outside when you detect an emergency, cover your nose and mouth with a handkerchief or cloth. Remember that the chemical is moving with the wind. Don't walk into it or with it. You should move crosswind with the wind at your side. Find shelter as soon as possible. Go inside. Stay inside. And follow the Shelter in Place procedure.
If you are at work, follow the same steps for Sheltering In Place for your home, plus:
- Close the business.
- Bring everyone into the selected room(s).
- Shut and lock the door(s).
- If there are customers, clients, or visitors in the building, provide for their safety by asking them to stay – not leave.
- Unless there is an imminent threat, ask employees, customers, clients, and visitors to call their emergency contact to let them know where they are and that they are safe.
- Write down the names of everyone in the room, and call your designated emergency contact to report who is in the room with you, and their affiliation with your business (employee, visitor, client, customer.)